Is a Ferret a Right for You?
Often when someone hears me talking about ferrets, they inquire if ferrets are good pets. The short answer is a definite yes, but there is more to this answer.
If you have thought about adding a ferret to your family, the real question is not as simple as “Are ferrets good pets? “The question is, “Is a ferret a good pet for me?”
Some Important Things to Consider
1. Are you willing and able to dedicate time daily to care for and interact with your ferret?
-Ferrets are curious and social animals and need plenty of interaction.
-Ferrets need to be trained to use a litter box.
-Ferrets need to be supervised when out of the cage to prevent them from getting lost or stuck in a small space (like in a closet or behind the refrigerator).
-Ferrets are clean animals and need to have their cage and litter boxes cleaned frequently.
-Ferrets also need general care such as baths, nail trimming and ear cleaning.
2. Are you willing and able to allocate adequate funds toward your ferret’s needs?
– A sizeable, comfortable enclosure complete with hammock, sleeping bag or other soft bed, toys, litter box, water bottle and food dish
-Quality ferret food and ferret-safe litter
-Regular visits to the veterinarian, including vaccinations
3. Do you have other pets or small children?
– Ferrets generally get along well with other pets and like to make friends; however, not all pets welcome this friendship. It is important to always introduce a new pet carefully and to supervise the interactions until it is deemed safe to leave them unattended.
-Ferrets and children generally make great playmates; however, children must be taught how to gently handle a ferret and not be too rough. Just like puppies and kittens, ferrets may nip and need to be taught not to.
4. Can you legally have a pet ferret in your country or state?
-Unfortunately, due to misinformation, it is illegal to have a pet ferret in California and Hawaii.
-There are restrictions in New York, Rhode Island, Washington, DC as well as Puerto Rico, Australia, Brazil and New Zealand. Hopefully, these states and countries will join the rest of the enlightened world soon and remove the ban.
Are Ferrets good pets?
You decide. Only you can consider if a ferret is a good pet for you.
I hope this information helps you. Ferrets are great pets, they’re adorable, playful and entertaining, but like cats, dogs and other pets, they are not the right pet for everyone.